Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 23, 2007

The Fussyness Continues...

So the solids definitely are keeping him full, (that is him after cereal on the right) but they didn't help us get anymore sleep. Jim and I are starting to get dilusional. One night last week I sat in the lazyboy with Josh all crunched up on me from midnight until 4 am. I finally got him to lay down in his crib and crawled back to bed. Only to hear him start screaming again 15 minutes later. I kicked Jim outta bed and he was up for another 45 minutes trying to get him to calm down.

We know that part of the problem is gas... because he is letting them rip louder than I have ever heard in my life... we are doing bicycle kicks, tummy time, mylicon drops, and squats. All seem to get him to quiet down quickly... and he is SO TIRED!!! As soon as we pick him up he usually starts falling back to sleep... so we'll lay him down and he'll start screaming again.

Apparently Rice cereal does make some babies more gassy... great! We skipped the rice cereal on Saturday to see if that would help... We also put him in his bouncy seat in the crib to keep him upright. He only woke up 3 times last night instead of 5 or 6. That was better but still not what he used to do... which was sleep for at least 6 consecutive hourse. Jim and I aren't sure what helped him sleep better... the bouncy seat or the fact we didn't give him rice cereal. So we introduced too many variables to know what has helped him sleep better. AGH...


And during the day he seems completely normal. He is definitely more tired... but he continues to sleep his usual 3 hours total during the day... And he still falls asleep doing his favorite activity... the jumparoo!

I have talked to lots of new moms and they are thinking it is teeth or a growth spurt... I am hoping one of them is true... if not both! We just need some sleep soon!!!

6 comments:

AJ said...

You could try oatmeal or barley cereal. I remember reading that other people who had trouble with rice cereal had better luck with the oatmeal...

Laura said...

I had much better luck with oatmeal cereal. Both of my children slept in swings (with it swinging) until they were rolling over.

Kara said...

My sister had great luck with oatmeal. Makena liked all the cereal, but Brynley really liked the mixed grains the best.

The Thuente Family said...

Yeah! New blog entries! I cannot believe how big he is getting...cereal already! Looking forward to seeing you guys next month! Sarah

Anonymous said...

Dani, have you tried a new bottle. He may be getting too much air while he sucks from the bottle. So two things happen, he fills up and it is with air. Then he gets gass and becomes hungry again. We used Avent bottles which is what you are using I believe so maybe go down in nipple size or try another bottle.

Andy

The Smith Family said...

Okay I see lots of advice so I'll give my two cents.
1) Try the next step up in the nipple size... he may be trying to hard to suck and in result getting lots of air.
2)skip the cereal all together and give him mashed bananas. That's what I did.