Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, September 24, 2006

Telling the Walsh Family

My sister Shannon's wedding was later that week and Jim and I spent all week trying to figure out ways to keep it a secret. I remember having 2-3 phone calls a day with my sister and mom that week and having to remind myself that I couldn't tell them yet. SO difficult.

The biggest give away was alcohol. How to make it look like I was drinking... so we agreed that my favorite drink, Vodka Tonic, could be substituted for 7up or Sprite with a lime and no one would notice. As for the toast, I hate champagne would work.

The endeavor proved to be more difficult than originally thought. We spent all day Thursday at the nail salon... and had mamosa's (champagne and orange juice)... I opted to be the bartender and made mine mostly orange juice... worked. Then onto the rehearsal dinner... most of the bridesmaids were going for water... so I agreed that a hangover the day of the wedding would be the worst thing imagineable and went along with water... so far so good. Although my sisters now Father in-law Greg wasn't letting it go so easily. Him and Brad Olmschenk continued to ask what they could make me and finally I agreed to a Vodka Tonic... and with each sip added more tonic until finally I was able to pass it to Jim. Phew...


Now the day of the Wedding... Surprisingly this was much easier than I thought. Jim and I rode with Steve and Shannon as well as Jason (bestman) and Monica in a limo to the reception... Champagne was served and I sipped the one glass as slow as possible and came up with the, I am not about to be drunk for the toast... I was too nervous. Jason started to believe it which was the most important thing. Then the stop at BW3's. Shots. Thankfully Jim weaseled up to the bar and had his credit card out before Jason and was able to get 5 Lemon Drop shots and one water shot that looked like a lemon drop. So relieved once again, although gave a quick shutter after drinking the water to agree with the gals that it was horrible. :)

The reception was the easiest... so so so many people all interested in Shannon and Steve as it should be. I did as planned and drank 3-4 sprites and no one questioned it. Until the ride home when I said I could drive. After dropping Jack and Mom off at home, I drove my dad and Jim to Wendy's. My dad said, "I can't figure it out, there is only one reason I could think of that would have you driving home from your sister's wedding..." I just grinned. He couldn't believe it but was so excited at the same time. The entire drive it was, "No way, that is so cool, you have to tell mom now, I can't sleep next to her all night with this news...". So when we got home we handed mom the card that said they were going to be grandparents. Very overwhelming I think after a very long week marrying off her daughter Shannon!

The next day we waited till almost everyone left the gift opening to give Shannon and Steve the card saying they were going to be an Aunt and Uncle. They were just as suprised and all the women including me were crying in excitement. Then came the questions about me drinking all week at the wedding... So sorry Jason, but it really was a water shot... and no I wasn't nervous about the speech at all!

No comments: