Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, October 14, 2007

A nice weekend home...

Not much happened last week... we enjoyed coming home from work, having dinner, and relaxing on the couch. We were definitely in need of some R&R at home. On Friday morning, I dropped Josh off at daycare like usual. About 20 minutes after I had sat down at my desk I got a phone call from daycare saying Josh had just thrown up. She said if he does it again, they will need to send him home. I figured he was moved to much after just eating... but definitely not normal for Josh. About 5 minutes went by and she called again saying I needed to come pick him up...

It was a beautiful day... so I was excited to have an excuse not to be at work... but then I started freaking out. I would say this was the first time I felt scared to be "the mom". He definitely had the flu... as everyone else in his room had already had it this week. I don't know how to handle a vomiting baby... Do I hold him over a bucket? the toilet? can I give him 7up/crackers/chicken broth?? obviously I knew the last few are out of the question since he has barely had cereal up until this point. I picked him up and he looked completely normal.

About 15 minutes after I got home with him I had finally sat down on the couch with a bucket, towel, and some water. I heard some horrible rumbling... and I ran into the kitchen with him as he coughed/gagged... I held him over the sink just as he let it all out. It was horrible! The poor little man had it coming out of his nose! And of course he was crying too... just like his mom does! :)

We only had a few rounds of it... maybe 5 total all weekend. But it lasted all weekend. We tried getting him to take some pedialyte on Friday without much luck. Saturday we mixed in some apple juice and he took down 3 oz like there was no tomorrow. That night we added in some cereal... everything was great Saturday night and it had been about 6 hours since he vomited.

And then it happened. The next "I am officially a mom" item on the list. While I was watching Oceans 12 and holding Josh, I felt some rumblings in the diaper and almost threw up from the smell... I carried him to the changing table gagging the whole way. Jim thought this was hysterical. I pulled off the diaper to find one of the messiest/stinkiest diapers I had seen ever. And then it happened. Mid wipe... He exploded some more... It scared me so bad that I screamed which definitely didn't make Josh happy. So I have a sick, crying, diaperless, little man, one clean hand, one hand covered in the smelly stuff, a husband who can't stop laughing, and a dog who won't stop trying to get the messy diaper. It was AWESOME!!!

That night ended with laundry, a bath, and some more pedialyte for Josh. YUCK!

Today Josh was doing better so we tried the breastmilk. Not so much. That only stayed down for about an hour. So the rest of the day has been more pedialyte/apple juice/cereal. This afternoon he started making faces while eating cereal so I think that indicates he is fianlly feeling better. The pictures are of his new favorite face. He scrunches up his nose and breathes in and out of his nose... anytime Jim or I do this he will copy us. It reminds me of my baby brother Jack. He used to do this whenever he was really excited about something. Too funny!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Haha, I love that you caught the scrunched up face on camera. That is perfect. Can't wait to see you guys this weekend!!! -Shannon

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the visual. Just wait for potting trainning. Adam decided the living room was good enough place to poop. THen when I yelled and told him to come here and get in the bathroom he walked right there. Only to step first in his poop with both feet and track perfect footsteps across the whole carpet. Who says parenting is boring....Andy

Kara said...

Glad to hear Josh is feeling better. My sister always recommends having little ones get sick in a towel.

Both my girls have been sick and B would do the cough, gag, puke....unfortunately everytime she got sick last week, I was holding her, and it ended up all over me and her. It was lots of fun....lol

Also, sounds like Josh is a great weight and YAY for sitting up. He has actually passed Brynley in weight. She is almost 16 lbs.