Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Friday, March 28, 2008

Where did March go??

Wow... March was a busy month. Jim was still traveling for work although this month was only gone for 6 days. Josh and I took a few trips to MN. Josh had a big month with the doctors... the double ear infection saga continued through that month. I brought him into the doctors one more time to find out that they still had not gone away... since January!!! He was on 3 different oral antibiotics that never worked... so the only one left was the antibiotic shots. He got one in each leg that day. We returned the next day... and they weren't 100% better so he got two more shots... then finally the last day... they again weren't 100% better so he had the final two shots. YUCK!! But he was definitely showing signs of improvement. Sleeping and eating better. Jim took off for the business trip and I went home to MN for Easter. When I returned to WI, it was clear Josh wasn't completely better. So back to the doctor we went. This time, she replied, "I have never seen a kid still have an ear infection after those antibiotics, so I don't really know what to do at this point. I am going to consult the other pediatricians." So about 15 minutes pass and finally she comes back. She says, "We have booked you an appointment at the Ear Nose Throat (ENT) tomorrow afternoon and they have an opening for surgery (tubes) ready for Friday as they believe that will be the next step. They really want to see him ASAP to reduce the risk of permanant damage."

So - I immediately call Jim and let him know what was going on. He wasn't going to be back until 11:30am and the surgery was going to be at 10am. Although I know that tubes are a very common surgery... I was not looking forward to Jim being out of town for part of it. Thankfully his parents were planning to come into town that weekend and agreed to come in a day early. The appointment on Thursday was really late 3:45pm. We had to do a hearing test where I sat on a chair in a big booth and had Josh on my lap. They had various animals playing instruments around the room and he would look up at them. I was supposed to be SO STILL and all I could do was laugh because I could see his response in the mirror in front of us. Then the lady made the dog bark down by our feet... WOW that did not go well. Josh burst into tears. Our dog Hilo doesn't bark... so any dog that does... freaks Josh out.
They did a few more tests and then we went to the exam room for the doctor to look into his ears. Everything came back just shy of normal or normal. And the doctor said his ears looked better than what the charts had indicated the day before. So NO surgery! PHEW! I think we were all relieved.

Since that big episode... Josh has been sleeping and eating much better. Although we have been to the doctors a few more times in fear that the ear infections were back... however they were able to quickly say that his ears were fine but he was getting 6 teeth... YIKES!

3 comments:

AJ said...

Glad to hear your little man is doing better!

Jodie said...

Aw poor kid - poor you. Ear infections suck and so does all of the drama that goes along with it! Hope his ears continue to get better and have fun with the teeth. ;)

BTW - traveling spouses = no fun. Brian also travels a lot and its hard when he's gone but its also hard when he gets back because we get used to life without him. sigh

Michelle said...

Glad to hear that Josh is doing better... hope the teeth don't give him too many problems.

Yup, Travis travels for work a lot too. Sometimes it can be tough to handle it all on your own... especially when the little ones get sick. That is the worst!

Different topic... Have you and Jim been able to keep up your workout/gym routines? That seems to be a constant battle for us... we both enjoy the gym and working out -- but it is hard to find time. And, I feel some mommy-guilt unless I go when they are in bed... I feel like I should be playing/interacting with them instead of working out. But then I find myself at the gym at 9PM - Ugh! Do you guys have a solution that works for you?