Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Sunday, May 18, 2008

I QUIT!!!!

So on Monday, May 12th I finally quit my job... I have been looking for something new ever since my maternity leave and just nothing seemed to be "right". Then I received a call from a recruiter on a job locally. Each consecutive interview went better and better. I left the last interview (5/9) thinking, "I actually really want this job!". They said they had 2 more candidates that they wanted to interview so not to expect to hear anything for a few weeks.

I got a voicemail later that night from the hiring manager asking me to call him sometime over the weekend. Which to me, indicated nothing but positive. The next day he gave me the offer. After thinking more carefully about it and getting a few more questions answered, I accepted the position that Monday (5/12), signed the paperwork, and resigned from KC.

I always pictured resigning in my head...
  1. Standing up, saying "I quit", and walking out right in the middle of a frustrating, over crowded meeting, with too many "D's" (we call the person with the decision power the "D" - gotta love corporate america).
  2. Just not showing up for work.
  3. Dialing our plant page intercom number and announcing my resignation.
  4. The meeting scenario again... but going around the room and saying - you stink, you stink, you're cool, you stink... I'm out. HA HA!
But of course, I gave it some time to think through how to handle it the professional way. Because in the end, all of those frustrating things were going to happen everywhere... the job search was started because I needed a change. I wrote up a very professional letter... and then at the end of the day, I casually walked into my managers office to let him know. I was so nervous I thought I was going to throw up! I had never quit anything in my life... (Dad, T-ball doesn't count) I had prepared myself for everthing... from being walked out immediately to them having a counteroffer ready for me to look at. Well it went somewhere in the middle. It felt good to hear that they wanted to know what it would take to change my mind.. and it felt good to feel confident in my response, "Nothing". I learned a lot and got some outstanding experience with KC... but it was time to move on. I was crabby and frustrated at work all the time and there didn't seem to be anything more than talk when it came to "what was next".

The resignation was officially announced on Thursday of last week. Many people were shocked but almost all responded with - good for you and you'll be missed. It is weird going to work now knowing that I am not going to be there in another week... part of me is loving it... but then part of me is sad. I loved my project and my team, but was just plain old burnt out. I can definitely say that I haven't had a single feeling of regret with regard to my decision. I am sure there will come a time at the new job when that regret feeling will come... but that is normal.

For now... I am loving the fact that my evenings are no longer spent searching monster and careerbuilder. And that is why I am now back blogging! :)

8 comments:

Michelle said...

Congrats on the new job!! Change is good :)

Will you have similar responsibilities with your new job?

AJ said...

Congrats!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats Dee!
Sounds like this will be just what you needed....good luck with your new adventure!!
Love you, Alli

Jodie said...

Wooo! Congratulations!

Kara said...

Congrats. So tell us more about the job.

Anonymous said...

I am so happy for you!! Congrats and I cannot wait to hear more about your new position.

jessrings said...

Ahhhh....career builder..that's become my "friend" as well. Way to go at taking the plunge and making a change!! Better than then saying 10 yrs later..what have I done with my life? Any company would be blessed to have you!

Meghan Soens said...

Congrats about the job! I was just about to email you and ask you a question about a KC job that is down by me - so go figure. I have those same dreams of a dramatic resignation!! Hopefully things with the little guy are better. Keep in touch!
Meghan Soens
(meg1016@gmail.com)