Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Seriously???

So Monday around 5pm, Josh had a 102 fever. We gave him some Motrin and went for our run... which he always seems to enjoy. He was super happy for the rest of the night and went down pretty well.

Then we had to take turns trying to get him to go back to sleep. I was so darn tired that I don't even remember half the conversations Jim and I had. But I do remember him feeling slightly warm around 4 am and giving him more Motrin. I checked his ears with the new ear monitor I bought and saw they both said "monitor". That morning he was clingy... ears were the same... but no more fever so I chalked it up to teeth as he was chewing on everything in sight including my shoulder.

I dropped him off at daycare and told them about the fevers and they responded, "probably teeth but we'll keep an eye on him". At 10 am, I called and they said he was very clingy and wouldn't go down. I asked them to call me after lunch and let me know if he had eaten. If he hadn't, I was going to call and make an appointment for an ear check. At 11:30 I got paged... and didn't race to the phone thinking it was just them calling to give the update. Then I got paged at 11:33.... and 11:36... I finally got to a phone and called.

"Danielle, Joshua just had a seizure, he is stable, but you need to come pick him up and bring him in". I can't exactly explain what I did - I know that I babbled something to the effect of - I am on my way... know that I hung up and got a hold of Jim... either using my cell or work phone... and know that I told my boss that I couldn't go back to our meeting so to put my stuff on my desk... The 5 minute drive seriously felt like 40 minutes... I talked to the pediatricians and they confirmed that I needed to bring him straight to the ER. I got to daycare... and the owner, also an RN, along with the girl that was holding him at the time were up in the office with Joshua. I just started crying as soon as I saw him. He looked TERRIBLE! They explained what had happened and I finally realized that the poor girl who was holding him was just as upset as I was. I felt so bad for her! They were extremely collected and had all the info together. He had a very high fever - 102.5 via arm... and had the seizure... they put him on his side until it stopped and then he vomited... They took off as much of the clothing as they could and put some cool cloths on his forehead. Jim got there and thank goodness... because I was a mess.

We got to the ER and they were all ready for us. Within the first 30 minutes the doctor confirmed he had a severe double ear infection and his temp was at 103.5. He immediately said he believes it was a "Febrile Seizure" which occurs with high temps caused by infections. They typically occur when a toddlers temp changes rapidly and close to 104 degrees F. They happen with kids from 6 mos to 4 years. And 10% of children have at least 1 before the age of 4. We stayed at the hospital for another 4 hours to have his blood drawn, a chest x-ray, monitor his temp and heart rate, and a urine test. All of the tests came back clear and he was given a large dose of Rosephin (sp?). We booked an appointment with our pediatrician for tomorrow afternoon and then with the ENT doctor on Friday. I think this confirms he will be getting tubes.

We got home and he ate like a champ... he was still pretty clingy... but had quite a few periods of his happy self. Screaming randomly to get our attention... saying "ball" to EVERYTHING... and crawling after Hilo. He is down for the night and I fully expect to be going in there every few hours to make sure he is alright.

We are all exhausted. We are extremely thankful that he is okay and it was just an ear infection. And pray that it doesn't ever happen again.

11 comments:

Matt and Ami Kipf said...

Glad to hear all is well now. WE will say a little prayer tonight for you guys!

AJ said...

So sorry you had to go through that. I know that helpless scared feeling is awful. Hope he's feeling better soon, poor little man!

Melissa said...

Glad to hear he is doing better. There is nothing scarier than when your child is sick. Justin got the same meds (Rosephin) via a shot in each leg during our trip to the ER a couple of weeks ago...it worked well.

Keep us posted on the ENT appt!

Kara said...

{Hugs}!! I was crying reading your post. I am so sorry that you had to go through that. I too would have been such a mess.

I hope Joshua feels better soon.

Anonymous said...

OMG, Dee, I didn't expect to read that..I'm so glad he is starting to feel better.
Hang in there...love you.

Abbey said...

Oh my lord. I commend you for making it to day care in one piece. I can't not imagine how scared you and Jim were. I was scared for you just reading your post. I am glad Josh is doing better. We will keep you guys in our thoughts.
PS Happy thoughts...Happy Mother's Day and birthday's to you and Josh;)

Anonymous said...

Wow that would be scarry. Glad the little man is doing well. Kudos to your daycare and knowing what to do. Maddies first word was ball and we figured she picked it up becuase of the dog and telling the dog to get its ball. Could be the same with Hilo.

Andy

Jericho Rose said...

How nerve racking... I'm glad he is doing better.

Anonymous said...

OMG, Dee, I didn't expect to read that..I'm so glad he is starting to feel better.
Hang in there...love you.
Alli

Jodie said...

Wow that is scary business! Thank God everything is ok now. Poor thing (all of you)!

Michelle said...

Glad to hear everything is going better --- that had to have been such a scary experience :(

Happy birthday to you guys! Happy belated Mother's Day, too!