Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Saturday, October 10, 2009

H1N1

Josh's fever broke late Sunday night and I was still not feeling well Monday, so we opted to stay home. Lots of sleep, hot water, and soup. I started feeling much better that afternoon but Josh didn't seem to be quite back to normal. Tuesday morning we were both miserable again. At this point, calls into Josh's Pediatrician and my OB have all said we are okay and don't need to come in. I didn't have to worry until I had a fever that reached 100F. I hadn't. Josh was pulling at his ears so I decided to make an appointment for Tuesday morning anyway.


The entire way there I had to tell Josh about the masks we would have to wear. Thankfully he was excited because they had Mickey Mouse on them. When we got in there, we were in good company. There were a handful of other people all wearing masks. Flu season is officially here!


As soon as we got into the room, the nurse said she was testing him for the flu since I was pregnant. I still at this point am thinking it is nothing more than a cold turned into ear infections. 10 minutes later, the doc walks in and says Josh has tested positive for Influenza A. Since the handful of tests that have been submitted to the state have all come back as H1N1, our doctor said it is 99% likely that this flu Josh has is also H1N1. AWESOME! So she immediately wrote out a prescription for Tamiflu and told me to get on the phone with my OB.


My OB immediately said to get me on Tamiflu and wrote out the prescription and then asked me to get in to see my family doc. Many phone calls go by and finally I get an appointment at my doc. At the appointment, I am sitting in the waiting room for an entire hour with a mask on. Awesome. Among the other 6 people next to me all with masks on. Double awesome.


Long story short, I am tested as well for the flu, although the doc fails to tell me not to blow my nose before hand. I saw that it was a nose swab from Josh's test and I thought, I better blow my nose so they can get to the good stuff. When the test came back negative, my doc said that with adults it is more often false negative. So why take the test? She then went on to say I should be taking sudafed and robitussin to help with the cough/sinus headaches. Seriously? I am pregnant... I am not taking anything I don't have to at this point.


So Josh and I are on Tamiflu.... hanging out in our misery. I had lots of cuddle time at all hours of the day/night. We have read tons of stories, watched way too many cartoons, and had way too much soup. Josh started showing signs of improvement by Wednesday but was still sleeping much more than usual. So I kept him home all week so he wouldn't get anything else. All the kids in his class were gone on Wednesday for some sort of fever related illness. Hmm?


By Saturday morning I am finally feeling about 80%. The darn cough just won't go away. But I am sleeping in my bed reasonable well which is just so much better than a recliner!


Overall we are on the mend. But going crazy in our house!!


Where is Jim through all of this? He has a major major equipment down this week. The one he has been working very long hours for. So he is gone by 5:15am and not home until 7pm. He has come home during the day to let me get to the doc or to give me a break... but I am also trying to keep him away and hopefully healthy. So far so good.


Josh and I did pretty well. I had one major mental breakdown when my friend Mandy called. She wasn't expecting it, but as soon as she asked how we were doing, I just started bawling. I was so tired, Josh had his third consecutive accident, and I just wanted to be better, the house cleaned, and to get out of the damn house! On top of that I can't help but worry about taking Tamiflu which hasn't been tested on pregnant women or the worry of getting worse and ending up in the hospital. I don't sound stressed do I???

2 comments:

Liz said...

UGH! So sad for you!! Add me to the list of Minnesotans praying for you.. :( Good luck!!

Matt and Ami Kipf said...

I am sorry that you are sick and Matt and I are praying for you. Call me if you are bored. I would talk to you even at work. I miss you tons.