Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Baby has LOTS of hair...

Today was another weekly checkup at the doctors office. I didn't put any updates about last weeks appointment - but it went very well and I was dialated to 1 cm at that point. Not wanting to get my hopes up I was figuring that I would hear that there was no change during today's appointment. Well, we got a lot more than anticipated!

First off there was some protein in my urine dip so that was the second time in a row that it showed small amounts which is one of the many pre-eclampsia signs. So naturally i was a bit concerned. Then my bloodpressure check was completely normal, however higher than normal for me. So that is another sign. So when the doctor came in I asked about both of them and she said not to be concerned at this point as the levels were normal but just to be on the safe side she wanted to have some blood work done. Next the exam in which we found out that baby has dropped significantly or that I am losing amniotic fluid.... and the good news I am now at 2 cm! Yeah! So a test for amniotic fluid and the blood work was next... if either showed positive results... I would have been induced today!

I was hooked up to the fetal monitor which looks at baby's heartrate, my ability to feel the baby move, and any possible contractions. During the 10 minute test Jimbo and I sat there... at first you could tell we were a bit nervous. But then we turned to the equipment and started figuring it all out. I had 3 contractions during the 10 minutes... 1 I could hardly feel at all. The other two though just felt like baby was trying to roll over and it was very tight... So that is apparently what a contraction feels like at this point... Good to know! Everything came back great and the doc said that the movements were spectacular - baby is doing very well!

Finally - the ultrasound. This was just another precaution to make sure that there was plenty of amniotic fluid. How exciting to see the baby one more time! Unfortunately we couldn't see the face because baby is way to far down. But we got to see the feet - all 10 toes, the stomach, and heart beating... The ultrasound Tech said immediately - wow baby has a LOT of hair, so much so that it is waving in the water! We also learned that baby is about 6 lbs 10 oz... and measuring 1.5 weeks ahead of schedule for size... all but the head... which is measuring 39.5 weeks! Wonderful. I shouldn't have asked...

All in all it was a good visit because everything came back with baby healthy and no need for inducing... but geez - I was exhausted after all the poking and excitement. Early to bed for me!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it will still come in April - Diamond birthstone!

Just remember those contractions you are feeling are nothing. Also a big head is not that bad, at least the baby is light!

Good luck, sounds like it will not be too much longer.

Love ya!

Melissa said...

I remember the few weeks before Justin was born - it's such an exciting time! Cherish every moment! Oh, and be sure to keep good notes if you want the details in your baby book/scrap book. I am working on Justin's now and having a hard time remembering all of the details! Good thing I can go back to my old blogs :)

Anonymous said...

Dad and I chuckled at the fetal monitor comment. Leave it up to you two to forget the contractions and start figuring out the mechanical and scientific aspects of the monitor. Should make for interesting entertainment during the REAL labor......keep on walking and can't wait for our first grandchild.....Grandma and pa Walsh

Kara said...

Glad to hear the appt went well. I loved having tons of u/s during my pregnancy. Every week I looked forward to seeing the twins and making sure they were doing well.

Hang in there....you'll get to see the little one before you know it!!!